Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The article is not to be found on the internet in any form or other version, and cannot be found by internet searching. (This is vital to ensure that our blind peer-review process is properly blind.)
- I, the submitter, have secured (or am in the process of securing) and, where necessary, have paid for (or will pay for) written copyright permissions for the reproduction, in this online journal, of any illustrations, images, music notation, audio files, video files, or any other copyright materials that are included in this prospective article.
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, or RTF document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in JSMI's Author Guidelines.
Submissions of articles may be made at any time. Articles deemed suitable to proceed to the review stage are then blind peer-reviewed, with one of the following outcomes: (1) the article is approved for publication, with revisions as advised; (2) the article is deemed not yet suitable for publication but may be resubmitted following recommended revisions; (3) the article is rejected.
Reviews (of published books or scholarly editions of music) are normally solicited by the Reviews Editor, though JSMI sometimes considers reviews that are submitted to us.
Copyright for articles and reviews published in this journal is retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. By virtue of their appearance in this open access journal, articles are free to be used, with proper attribution, in educational and other non-commercial settings.
It is the responsibility of the author to secure (and, if necessary, pay for) written copyright permissions for the reproduction, in this online journal, of any illustrations, images, music notation, audio and video files, or any other copyright materials, that are included in the author's article.